Palos Fire Protection District Services and Equipment
1 110 foot ladder truck
In 1952, fourteen year old Susan Firalyo died in a fire at her home on 86th and 122nd Ave. There had been a growing concern for the need of a fire department. With the death of a child, six men seriously met and the wheels were in motion for setting up a volunteer fire department in Palos Park. These men were Bob DeNovo, Henry and Phil Eierdam, Charlie Hipner, Vic Leatzow and Walter Witt.
They approached Art Carlson and Abel DeHaan who gave them $5,000 to put down as payment on a property at the southwest corner of 123rd street and 86th Ave (across from the Plush Horse). That location changed to the present site. Otto Kerner, circuit court judge, helped set up the Fire Prevention District. In March of 1956, the new station, designed by Zay Smith and manned with 40 volunteers, was ready to go.
Much has changed from when the wives of volunteers would answer in-coming calls and set off the sirens. In 1968 ambulance and rescue service came into being, later followed by trained paramedics. Today, calls are answered by Southwest Central Dispatch. Station #2 was built in 1989.
Excerpts from 75th Anniversary of Palos Park, by Geraldine (Dolly) DeNovo