Carbon Monoxide Detectors
It saves lives! When the alarm goes off, know your best escape path, get
all of the occupants to fresh air, then call 911. You will not see it,
smell it, or feel it right away, but if inhaled in sufficient
concentrations, this poison can cause headache, dizziness, drowsiness,
vomiting, collapse, and death.
is a common byproduct of burning and can spread throughout your house
from a malfunctioning furnace, water heater, some appliances, fireplace,
and clogged vents and chimneys. These vital
devises are small, affordable, easy to install, and are available at all
local home improvement stores. Various models have different features
such as audible and visual alarms, ac powered (connected to your home
electrical system), dc powered with batteries, variable control of
volume patterns and sensitivity, interconnection to other alarms and
monitoring stations and companies, and user-testing.
You may want to consult Underwriters
Laboratories (UL) as a source of information at
www.ul.com. They have
advice on what features to look for. They also have information videos
and brochures. They do performance tests of various products and they
list, or endorse, models with proven high quality and reliability. Lower
quality detectors often will have nuisance or false alarms that are
tripped by low levels of CO2 or other vapors such as ammonia.
Better to be safe than sorry – retrofit
your house. If you hire a contractor, make sure he or she is licensed
with the Village and gets all necessary permits. The Village of Palos
Park has adopted the 2005 National Electrical Code and it requires at
least one combination carbon monoxide and smoke detector on each level
of new homes. If you need more information, please contact the Building
Department. Steve, Jean, and
Joe will be glad to help.
Contact us at 708-671-3730